Tart cherries can help you sleep better because they provide melatonin. Sweet cherries can lower your blood pressure because they provide potassium. Cherry pits can make you rush to the hospital because they provide cyanide. One or two pits are probably no big deal, as far as the cyanide is concerned, because our body can break it down into safe compounds. Ingesting large amounts of cyanide, i.e. too many pits, can lead to headaches, dizziness, vomiting, anxiety, kidney failure or even death from respiratory arrest. Enjoy your cherries. Spit the pits.
Allergies aside, honey is perfectly safe for human consumption if it’s pasteurized. Raw honey, however, can give you food poisoning and lead to cramps, diarrhea, nausea, vomiting and fever. Children under one year of age should never be given honey in any form or amount. It could cause a rare type of food poisoning called infant botulism. The symptoms, which could take anywhere from hours to one week to show up, start as constipation followed quickly by floppiness, a weak cry and poor feeding ability. The baby’s breathing may also be affected. You can call your baby honey. Just don’t feed it to him.